The Ladera Dolphins swim team is a member of the West Bay Swim League. Emphasis is placed on fun, participation, personal improvement and friendly competition. The team is open only to members of the LRD, who are at least 5 years old. Swimmers 6 and under must be able to swim one length of the pool. Swimmers 7 and up must be able to swim two lengths. There are special activities and trips for swim team members as well as weekly swim meets. Our goal is for team members to enjoy a positive experience with competitive swimming.
Swim team is a totally self-supporting enterprise. Fees cover coaches’ salaries, league fees, equipment, supplies, team member trophies, swim caps, subsidies for the awards dinner, and other miscellaneous expenses.
The swim team is made up of three groups: the coaches, the swimmers, and the parents.
- The coaches make swimming fun for the swimmers, while teaching them about the fundamentals, mechanics, and sportsmanship of swimming.
- The swimmers’ job is to do their best to learn, and make being part of the team enjoyable for themselves and their peers.
- Parents are a vital part of the team! They support and encourage the swimmers, provide transportation to team functions, and provide most of the manpower at those functions. Parents make being a part of the team possible, and without their involvement we would not have a team. The more involved they are, the better the team will be.
- Assisting at the meets is extremely easy and also required.
- There is a job and a place for everyone.
- Parents must sign up for a specific number of jobs at registration to make sure meets run smoothly, thus making it a very enjoyable summer for everyone.
Safe Sport Parent Training The LRD strongly suggests all parents participate in Safe Sport Training. Parents can find a copy of the Parent Toolkit in the LRD lifeguard office or can visit the parent toolkit here. Safe sport training is used by national organizations across all spectrum of sports.